Stainless Steel Ball Valves
These are included in our product range to complement our Camlock Fitting offering. Sometimes also referred to as a SS Ball Valve or Stainless Steel Valve. These are the standard product used across general industry, wherever flow needs to be controlled. We service clients across industries in Australia, including the petrochemical, chemical, food and beverage and Water, Oil and Gas (WOG) industries. Our Stainless Ball Valves are manufactured in High Grade Stainless Steel 316. The 2 piece range is also available in SS304. Ball Valve Suppliers please contact us for trade pricing.
- All our ball valves have MILL Test Certificates available certifying compliance with EN10204-3.1 standards.
- The MILL Test certifies chemical and mechanical compliance to applicable norms.
STAINLESS BALL VALVE FEATURES
- 1000 PSI WOG
- Full Port (2 piece & 3 piece)
- Threaded Ball Valve (Female BSP Parallel Threads, both ends)
- Blow out Proof Handle Stem
- Handle with Locking Lever
- PTFE Seals and Seats
BENEFITS OF USING A BALL VALVE?
- Quick, quarter turn on-off operation.
- Not too many turns to get to flow or to shut-off.
- Ball valves are compact valves, require no lubrication and give tight sealing with low torque.
- A full-bore (full port) valve will provide virtually no obstruction to flow and as result pressure drop is negligible.
- Low to no maintenance costs makes them a relatively inexpensive purchase.
WHAT DOES FULL PORT MEAN?
- The valve hole actually matches the size of the pipe it is connected to.
- When not full port, the ball valve is actually a little bit smaller than the pipe diameter.
- A reduced port ball valve will limit the water flow through the pipe.
WHAT SEALS ARE USED IN THE STAINLESS STEEL BALL VALVES?
- PTFE. Best known brand name of the PTFE-based formulas is Teflon.
- Main advantages: high chemical resistance, wide operating temperature and pressure ranges and can withstand dry running.
- An inferior seal will result in a leaking valve when ‘running’ and when ‘closed’.
WHEN TO USE A BALL VALVE?
- Ball Valves are used wherever flow needs to be shut-off.
- This allows pipes or hoses to be connected and disconnected without spillage.
HOW TO SIZE A BALL VALVE?
- The size of the pipe thread determines the size of the valve.
- A 1” (25mm) threaded pipe will take a 1” (25mm) Ball Valve.
BALL VALVE DESIGN AND OPERATION
- A pivoting ball inserted into the valve body is turned with a handle.
- The valve is constructed with a stop catch cast into the heavy body. This gives a positive stop.
- Valve is open when the handle is running parallel to the valve body, closed when positioned at right angles to the valve body.
- The seal is located in the body of the ball valve and presses up against the ball. As you turn the valve open or closed the valve makes contact with the seals. They maintain the water proofing ability of the valve through-out its life.
SS BALL VALVES IN SS316 or SS304?
- Both stainless steel grades provide excellent resistance to corrosion and rust and both are durable.
- The basic difference is the presence of molybdenum in Stainless 316.
- The molybdenum gives SS316 greater resistance to chemical attack than Stainless 304, especially against chlorides and chlorinated solutions.
- Stainless 316 will be more expensive because of its higher corrosion resistance.
- In instances where salt exposure is an issue the extra cost of stainless 316 is the preferred option as it will last longer than Stainless 304.
- SS304, whilst still providing excellent resistance in less corrosive situations, is also cheaper which explains its popularity and widespread use.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1 PIECE, 2 PIECE, vs 3 PIECE BALL VALVES
- In the single piece design valve, the body is cast/forged as one piece. The insertion of the ball will be through the end of the body. This design restricts the valve to a reduced bore.
- In the 2 piece design, the body is constructed in two pieces and the ball is held in position by body stud. The two piece body allows the valve to be manufactured with a larger ball making this a full bore valve. There can be full port or regular port design possibilities with this construction.
- In the case of three piece construction, the body has two end pieces and one centre piece. The center part of the valve containing the ball, stem & seats to be easily removed from the pipeline. This construction permits in line servicing and cleaning without disturbing the existing pipe work. This ball valve can be taken apart the quickly and easily. A well designed valve will not leak, a poorly designed product will leak regardless of the configuration.